Fehling and Gogel 3: excursions to the the commons of the FU and to the institute of meteorology on the Fichteberg

Mensa der FU, Institut für Meteorologie, and short visits to houses of Ludwig Hilberseimer, Hugo Häring and others on Monday, August, 1st, 2011, 10 am.

Because the number of participants is restricted to 15, we kindly ask for an immediate response.

The tour costs 10 euros, reduced it's 5 euros.

meeting point is the Mensa of the Freie Universität in Dahlem, Van't-Hoff-Straße 6.
It's a 10 minutes walk from U-Bahn station Thielplatz (U3) or take a bus (X11 direction U Dahlem-Dorf) from S-Bahn station Lichterfelde West (S1) to Hittorfstraße and than a 15 minutes walk. After a snack and coffee we'll see some parts of the house and than, around 11 am, we'll take a bus for few stations. From there it's a 15 minutes walk to the institute.

It's possible to visit the Botanical Garden (entry 6 euros, reduced 3) afterwards and see the great Tropenhaus, which is still one of the biggest glas-steel constructions of the world and a very early example of an exosceleton (60m length, 30m width, 25 m height, architect Alfred Koerner, engineer Heinrich Müller-Breslau) and the additions of Engelbert Kremser from 1987.

The tour will end in a place with drinks and food and discussions nearby.

Mensa der Freien Universität

The commons for the Free University was built in the years 1952 and 1953 by Fehling and Peter Pfankuch as the first building of the university, even before the planing o the campus was decided. It marks a clear distance to the neo-classical existing buildings, instead draws new lines to the classical modern language of the Weimar times. It is a 3-storey box with an cafeteria opening with a terrace to the campus park, a dining hall on the second floor and on top a restaurant with a roof terrace. 1975-77 an extension was built, planned by Fehling and Gogel as well. It is built in front of the existing structure and includes in an ondulating form a now larger kitchen and dining hall, each plus 200 sq m.

further information here including plans and photos(in German).

Das Institut für Meteorologie

The Institute for meteorology was built in 1978-90 by Fehling and Gogel and is the last builing of them. It took twelve years to plan it build it because neighbours started a campaign against this weather research institute of the Freie Universität beeing built amongst their villa area. As the Mensa we just visited built three years before the start of the design process of this, the building is an more organic shaped addition to an existing box, here the u-shaped institutional building that was the shared location of the school of psychology and the one of meteorology of the university, erected with prefabricated elements (Plattenbau) by Hochtief in 1974-75. The addition is a small elevated s-shaped slab with a 30m-high tower.
It's built on the Fichteberg, the highest point of Steglitz with 68m above Mean Sea level. Around 1900 it was one of the most expensive areas to live in the Berlin area, film stars like Erich Pommer lived here. There are two water towers, one used by the institute.

further information here including plan and model(in German)
Next to the Fichteberg the botanical garden of Berlin is situated.

Hugo Häring

The house in Lepsiusstraße 112 was built in 1936. As all houses built under Nazi rules, it was forced to have a steep declined roof. Hßring than took over the Reimann school after Reimann was forced by the Nazis.

Ludwig Hilberseimer

The house on the Fichteberg, Carl-Heinrich-Becker-Weg 19, was built 1935-36 as well, his last house in Berlin, two years before his emigration and his move to the IIT in Chicago.

More on the other tours.

The Tour is a cooperation of Büro Schwimmer and architectureinberlin

Institute for meteorology

house by Hugo Häring

Mensa of the FU

the main House of the Tropics

all photos: Sven Eggers